Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: Divorce, Remarriage, and the Gospel
Text: Matthew 5:31-32
31 “It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible, Copyright © 2001 by Crossway
1. Marriage is difficult; our sins are exposed to each other. (Point #3 in pastor’s blog post) God uses marriage to draw us closer to Him.
2. Marriage is forever; stay committed & pray for other couples. (Mark 10:1-9)
3. God’s original plan: One man & one woman joined for life. (Gen. 2:24)
4. God’s Word contains warnings about adultery. (Prov. 5:15-23)
5. A troubled marriage should be reconciled at all cost. We all have sinned, but there is forgiveness. (John 8:1-11)
6. Marriage after divorce is committing adultery, no exceptions 1 Cor. 7:10-16. Spouses are bound together as long as the both live. (Rom. 7:1-3; See 1 Cor. 7 for Principles of Marriage)
7. Scripture affirms both the single life and the married life equally. Seek and know God’s word about these topics.
1. We must display the beauty of marriage to the world.
2. If considering divorce, do everything in your power to save you marriage. 2/3 of couples who decide to save marriage discover happy marriage within 5 years.
3. Christians must support people who have been through divorce.
4. We are all guilty of unfaithfulness to our spouse. There is no room for pride. Praise God we don’t have pay the penalty for sin, humble yourself and come to Christ.