Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: Follow Me!
Text: Matthew 4:18-22
Big Idea: Being a disciple of Jesus is hard and costly but totally worth it!
Scripture Readings: Colossians 1:3-6, John 1:35-42, Luke 14:25-33, Galatians 2:20
1. God is looking for ordinary men and women who give themselves wholly and unreservedly to Him.
2. Discipleship is not easy and every disciple must “count the cost” (Luke 14:25-27, Luke 9:57-62)
3. Being a follower of Jesus is totally worth it! (Matthew 19:23-30)
4. Discipleship is not a complicated as we think (Luke 10:38-42)
5. Fishing for fish is a lot like fishing for men
a. To be a good fisherman, you must be patient and persevere (2 Timothy 2:3-4)
b. To be a good fisherman, you must fit the bait to the fish (Colossians 4:2-6, 1 Peter 3:14b-16). Fishing for men requires that you make Jesus attractive and beautiful.
c. To be a good fisherman, you must keep yourself out of sight. Don’t point people to yourself; point them to Christ. Help them see that he is a wonderful Savior.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.”