Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: The Baptism of Jesus
Text: Matthew 3:13-17
13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. 14 John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. 16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, 3 and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, 4 with whom I am well pleased.”
Why did Jesus need to be baptized?
1. To identify with sinners. 2 Corinthians 5:21 & Isaiah 53:12
2. To picture his own baptism on the cross. Luke 12:49-50
3. To set an example for us to follow.
4. To show God’s approval of Jesus.
5. To be washed as a Jewish Priest would be.