Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: Leaving a Legacy
Text: Hebrews 11:8-12
8 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. 9 By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God. 11 By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered him faithful who had promised. 12 Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants bas many as the stars of heaven and as many as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.
Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible, Copyright © 2001 by Crossway
1. What kind of legacy are we leaving to the next generation? (Prov. 13:22)
2. Abraham and Sarah’s inheritance and legacy included character, morals, setting a good example, and most importantly, having faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
3. God’s plan for human beings was always to be fruitful and multiply. (Gen. 1:27; 2:18,21-24)
4. Year after year Sarah remained barren. But when Abraham was around the age of 100, and Sarah 90, that all changed. What was the result of their faith? (Gen 15:1-6)
5. Marriage is good and wonderful gift from the creator God, (Prov. 18:22) and children are our heritage. (Psalm 127:3-5)
6. The Bible is full of parents and grandparents who left a bad legacy such as King Solomon. (Ex. 20:5)
7. What does the Bible say about how we can leave a good legacy?
a. Husbands, love your wives; Wives, respect your husbands. (Eph. 5:33)
b. Set a good example. (1 Tim 4:12)
c. Discipline your children. (Eph. 6:4)
d. Teach your children. (Deut. 11:19-20)
e. Protect them from physical harm and from bad influences.
f. Love them.
8. It is true there is no formula to guarantee your children will walk with the Lord and follow Christ, but if you do these things you will be on the right track.
9. Abraham and Sarah’s legacy of faith endured. If they had not trusted God and believed his promised, they would not have become a great nation. What kind of legacy are you leaving?