Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: Taking A Deeper Look At Anger Part 1 (Listen to Part 2)
Text: Matthew 5:21-26
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. 26 Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.
Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible, Copyright © 2001 by Crossway
1. Jesus is referring to the sixth commandment. (Ex. 20:13) and teachings of the rabbi.
2. First murder was when Cain killed Abel. (Gen. 4:8)
3. Human life is sacred because God made man in his own image. (Gen. 9:6)
4. Jesus said anger is equal to murder (Matt. 5:22); both are a matter of the heart.
5. Christianity is a religion of the heart, not of deeds (deeds will follow heart).
6. There is a time for anger in response to sin (Eph. 4:26)
7. Anger of man does not produce righteousness of God. (James 1:19-20)
8. We will suffer unjustly. (1 Pet. 2:18-23)
9. Never avenge yourself. (Rom. 12:19-21)
10. Anger can be directed three ways: Self, God, others.
11. What can we do with our anger? (“Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate” Jerry Bridges)
a. Recognize and acknowledge.
b. Ask “Why am I angry?” (Jonah 4:1-4)
c. Repent (Ps. 51:1-19)
d. Seek forgiveness
e. Hand it over to God.
12. Conclusion: Sin is serious, kill it before it kills you.