Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: What the Shepherd Does for the Sheep
Text: Psalm 23:1-6
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. 3 He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible, Copyright © 2001 by Crossway
1. Sheep do not have a great reputation: weak & dependent.
2. A shepherd provides:
– Green fields, still waters, & direction. (Matt. 4:4; Ps. 19:7-11)
– We trust Jesus is taking us to where we should go. (Ps. 8:1; Ps. 9:1-2)
3. A shepherd protects:
– Against wolves and other predators with the rod and guides with a staff.
– The Lord is always with us, fear not. (Ex. 3; Gen. 28; Jer. 1)
4. A shepherd prospers:
– As a host prepares a meal for a guest.
– We will still have hardships, no guarantee of worldly success.
– We will rejoice in our salvation.
– We we want to spend time in His word, in prayer, and with other believers. (Ps. 27:4)
5. Jesus provides everything of eternal value. Do you know the Good Shepherd? (John 10:14-18)