Sermon for September 2, 2018
Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: The Battle Against Sexual Sin
Text: Matthew 5:27-30
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.
Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible, Copyright © 2001 by Crossway
1. The Command (v. 27): Refers to sixth commandment (Ex. 20:14); is related to 8th & 10th.
2. The Interpretation (v. 28): Jesus’ uses His authority (Jn 12:49-50) to add internal lust is as sinful as the act of adultery.
3. The Cause (v. 29): Sin entered the world through Adam (Romans 5:14,19) and starts with our heart’s sinful desires.
4. The Penalty (v. 30): Wages of sin are an eternity in hell; separated from God.
5. The Deliverance (v. 30): Fight temptation with your whole heart; turn away from sin and trust Jesus for salvation.
Use this link to listen or download the mp3 file of this sermon.