Sermon for December 31, 2017
Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: Mary’s Song Of Praise
Text: Luke 1:46-56
46 And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 band my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
49 for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
50 And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.
51 He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
52 he has brought down the mighty from their thrones land exalted those of humble estate;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty.
54 He has helped phis servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy,
55 as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”
Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible, Copyright © 2001 by Crossway
1. Music is something enjoyed by most people. The Bible contains many songs. Ps. 96:1-4, Ps. 40:1-3
2. Why do we sing? A natural response to happiness.
3. Mary quotes scripture during her song. Similar to Hannah’s Prayer found in 1 Sam. 2:1-10.
4. Mary’s song is all about the mercy of God.
4.1 We should seek to magnify the Lord because of Christ.
4.2 Mary was humble, and realized salvation was a gift from God.
5. God’s mercy upon believers (v.50-53)
5.1 Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Deut. 6:13; Josh. 24:14; Ps. 2:11; Prov. 1:11; 2 Cor. 7:1
5.2 He rejects the proud, and exalts the humble.
6. God’s mercy upon Israel. (v.54-55)
6.1 Mary remembers the Lord’s promise to Abraham: Land people & blessings. Gen. 12:1-3; Gen. 17:19.
6.2 Jesus came to save the Jews and Gentiles. Gal.4:4-5
7. If you know Jesus, you have joy unspeakable and reason to sing!
Use this link to listen or download the mp3 file of this sermon: