Sermon for August 13, 2017
Presented by Rev. Dr. Daniel Stegeman
Title: Christ: Fulfillment Of The Law
Text: Matthew 5:17-20
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible, Copyright © 2001 by Crossway
1. Jesus life was fulfilling the prophecies. (John 1 – John 4)
2. Jesus had new teaching. (Matt. 5: vv. 21-22, 27-28, 31-34)
3. For Jews, the Law of Moses was way of life.
4. Christ fulfills law (Rom 10:4; Luke 22:35-37)
5. World view is that earth must be preserved.
6. Biblical view is God is sovereign and this world will pass away Matt. 5:18
7. Our hope is in the new heaven and earth. (2 Pet. 3:8-13)
8. God’s word is eternal. (Isa. 40:6-8)
9. Scripture is God breathed. (2 Tim. 3:16-17)
10. Absolute need for accurate teaching. (Matt. 5:19; James 3:1; 2 Tim. 2:15)
11. Absolute need for righteousness. (Matt. 5:20)
12. Righteous will live by faith (Rom. 1:16-17
Conclusion: Faith in Christ is the only way to be justified.
Unfortunately, the audio file is not available for this sermon due to a technical issue. Visit the audio archive for other sermons from Pastor Stegeman.